This quick and easy sheet pan pumpkin cake is covered with soft whipped cream cheese frosting, the perfect fall treat or thanksgiving dessert! This is easy to make with few ingredients, and will quickly become a fall family favorite. This whole cake comes together in just 30 minutes including prep time!
The Best & Easiest Pumpkin Sheet Cake
This sheet pan pumpkin cake has been a staple fall treat in our household and we make it every single year. As soon as the leaves start falling and the temperatures start dropping I think of warm cinnamon and pumpkin flavors and aromas. This recipe reminds me of a cool fall afternoon wrapped in a sweater with booties and a plaid scarf. If I could put a taste to fall, this is it! Whenever it comes time to decorate for fall and change out my decor I am sure to make this pumpkin cake and share it with the whole family. Nothing puts me in the fall spirit like pumpkin cake and it is covered in tangy cream cheese frosting…need I say more?
Every year come Fall and Thanksgiving I make this pumpkin cake. This recipe comes from my sister’s mother in law, and I first tried them when her husband brought some as dessert for Thanksgiving. I immediately fell in love with this recipe and have been making it every year since! These are a family favorite and we call them “pumpkin squares”. Anytime there is mention of pumpkin squares the whole family gets excited and can’t wait to have them for dessert! These go perfectly with the decadent and tangy cream cheese frosting that adds another layer of sweetness to the cake.
What is a Pumpkin Sheet Cake?
This is a thin cake that can be made on a sheet pan instead of in a cake pan! It is easy to throw together with pumpkin, flour, sugar, and some fall spices and is generous in portion size. This recipe makes an entire sheet pan full of cake which is more than enough to share with the whole family! This recipe notes flavors of cinnamon and cloves that bring out the rich flavor of the pumpkin. To top it off we use a whipped cream cheese frosting that is both tangy and sweet. The tang of the cream cheese frosting brings out the flavors of the cake so well! It may not seem like a lot of frosting at first but a little goes a long way with this cake since it is very sweet.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It’s super easy, it comes together in just 10 minutes of prep time!
- Cream Cheese Frosting, need I say more?
- Quick bake time, this cake is done in 20 minutes!
- This recipe features decadent fall flavors perfect for a fall treat or holiday dessert.
To Make Pumpkin Sheet Cake You Will Need:
Eggs – This acts as the binding agent for the cake.
Sugar – To sweeten the cake! You will want to use white sugar for this recipe.
Vegetable Oil – This is an additional binding agent and makes this cake super moist and rich!
Canned Pumpkin – This is the pumpkin flavor for the pumpkin cake, any brand will do but I prefer Libby’s!
Flour – Use All Purpose Flour for this recipe.
Baking Powder & Baking Soda – These will help the cake to rise and be spongy and moist.
Salt – Brings out the flavor in the spices and cuts some of the sweetness of the cake.
Cinnamon – Adds the delicious fall flavors to the pumpkin.
Ground Cloves – Adds a strong flavor to bring out the spices, make sure not to be too heavy handed with the ground cloves.
To Make Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting You Will Need:
Cream Cheese – Gives the tangy flavor to the frosting, if you prefer regular buttercream you can leave this out.
Butter – I use unsalted butter for this recipe since we add salt in later on. You want your butter to be room temperature.
Vanilla Extract – Brings the vanilla flavor to the whipped frosting.
Confectionary Sugar – Powdered sugar to make it creamy!
How To Make Pumpkin Sheet Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Beat together your eggs, sugar, oil, and canned pumpkin until fully combined and the batter is wet but fluffy.
- Stir in your dry ingredients including flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ground cloves, and salt. Mix well to ensure all dry ingredients are evenly incorporated.
- Pour batter into ungreased 10 x 15 inch sheet pan with an edge so the batter does not spill over.
- Bake cake for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Let cake cool entirely before frosting.
How To Make Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting:
- In a large mixing bowl beat together cream cheese, butter, and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Slowly add confectionary sugar and whip until thick and smooth.
- Whipped frosting should be light and fluffy with peaks.
- Spread over fully cooled pumpkin cake and enjoy!
Can pumpkin sheet cake be frozen?
Yes! This cake can be frozen for up to 3 months.
Can you store this pumpkin cake on the counter?
Since this pumpkin cake uses cream cheese frosting I advise keeping it in the refrigerator to keep it fresh. This cake can last up to 7 days in the refrigerator.
Can you use other pans to make this cake, or only a sheet pan?
You can most certainly use other pans or shapes to make this cake! This cake only rises about 1/2″ so ensure you fill the pan sufficiently if using a deeper pan. Deeper pans will also require longer cook times.
Can you use regular icing or frosting for this cake?
Yes! This would be just as delicious with regular buttercream frosting, I just prefer the tanginess of cream cheese frosting for these types of recipes. You can also use store bought frosting if you are in a pinch!
- This cake will need to be refrigerated since it uses cream cheese frosting, and it tastes just as delicious cold!
- Top cake with chopped walnuts to add more flavor!
- Ensure butter is room temperature before whipping frosting. Do not put in the microwave to melt or it will affect the consistency of the frosting.
Pumpkin Sheet Cake With Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting
- Stand Mixer
- Whisk Attachment
- Sheet Pan with Edge
- 4 Eggs
- 1⅔ Cup Sugar
- 1 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 15 Oz Canned Pumpkin
- 2 Cups Flour
- 2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Tsp Baking Soda
- 2 Tsp Cinnamon
- Just Less Than 1/4 Tsp Ground Cloves
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 3 Oz Cream Cheese (Softened)
- 0.5 Cups Butter (Softened)
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 Cups Confectionary Sugar
Pumpkin Sheet Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Beat together eggs, sugar, oil, and canned pumpkin until batter is wet but fluffy
- Stir in dry ingredients including flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and ground cloves. Mix until fully incorporated
- Pour Batter into ungreased 10 x 15 inch sheet pan
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean
Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting
- Beat together cream cheese, butter, and vanilla extract until smooth
- With the whisk attachment whisk in confectionary sugar until smooth and icing forms peaks
- Spread icing on fully cooled cake and enjoy!
Shop This Post:
- Emma Beaded Stonewear salad plates
- Hammered Silverware Set (Similar)
- Hammered Flatware Set (Similar)
- KitchenAid Stand Mixer
- Glass Mixing Bowl
- Apron (Similar)
- Circulon Sheet Pan
- Rose Gold Sheet Pan