This is the best recipe for chocolate chip banana bread. It is moist, full of melty morsels of chocolate chips, and is sure to be a crowd pleaser! Everyone will be asking you for this recipe. Not only is it delicious, but it is easy! The prep time for this recipe is less than 10 minutes.
The Best Super Moist Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
What could make banana bread better… other than warm melty morsels of chocolate chips!? This decadent take on banana bread will make your mouth water. It is super moist and stores well at room temperature. It tastes just as good the second and third day! My favorite part about this recipe is that it is easy, and once I have some bananas that are past their prime I can throw this together quickly and enjoy it all week!
This chocolate chip banana bread comes together with over-ripe bananas and just 9 simple ingredients you likely already have stocked in your pantry. This makes the perfect weekday breakfast, brunch addition, or late night treat!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It is super easy, prep time is only ten minutes!
- This recipe is super moist and mouth watering
- Melty chocolate chips…need I say more?
- Easy to store on the counter for up to 5 days
- Tastes just as good a few days later!
To Make Chocolate Chip Banana Bread You Will Need:
Butter – I use unsalted butter for this recipe since we add salt in later. If you only have salted butter I would skip the addition of more salt. Make sure your butter is room temperature and do not put it in the microwave to try and soften it
Brown Sugar – You can use light or dark brown sugar for this recipe, whatever you have on hand!
Egg – This binds the ingredients together
Vanilla – This brings out the flavor in this yummy bread recipe
Flour – Use All Purpose Flour for this recipe
Baking Powder & Baking Soda – These are the leavening agents in the bread
Salt – This brings out the flavor. If you only have salted butter on hand I would skip this step.
Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips – You can use dark chocolate chips or even milk chocolate chips if that’s what you have on hand, but I prefer semi-sweet morsels for this recipe.
Mashed Over-ripe Bananas – You want your bananas to be mostly brown on the outside, not just a few dark spots. The browner the bananas the sweeter the bread! There is no such thing as a too-ripe banana in my eyes.
How To Bake Chocolate Chip Banana Bread:
- Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Line a 9 x 5 loaf pan with parchment paper. This will help you lift the bread out easily once it is finished baking. You can cut the parchment paper to only cover the bottom and the two long sides if you prefer. Spray the pan and parchment paper with non-stick baking spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl with the whisk attachment cream together the butter and brown sugar for about 2 minutes until the mixture is smooth.
- Whisk in the egg until completely combined.
- Add the mashed bananas and vanilla. Mix until completely combined.
- Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix until completely combined (you want to make sure there are no pockets of dry ingredients). Do not over mix.
- Fold in the chocolate chips of your choice.
- Pour the chocolate chip banana bread mixture into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 60 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean (this is what works for my oven, you may need to bake from 55-65 minutes depending on your oven).
- Let cool in pan for 15 minutes then remove from loaf pan to a cooling rack.
- Let cool at least 20 additional minutes before serving.
- Cut into thick slices and enjoy!
Can I use frozen bananas for this recipe?
Yes! You can use either fresh or frozen over-ripe bananas for this recipe. If I have some over-ripe bananas but not enough to make this chocolate chip banana bread I like to throw them in a plastic bag and freeze them until I have enough to make this recipe. The frozen bananas make this recipe even more moist!
Can I use this recipe for muffins?
Yes! The only difference will be your cooking time. Since muffin tins are smaller they will likely cook in about 30-40 minutes depending on your oven. To ensure you don’t overcook check the muffins regularly and they are done when golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
How long can I store this chocolate chip banana bread?
You can wrap this bread in cling wrap and store on the counter for 4-5 days. If you would like this bread to last longer than that you can refrigerate/freeze it as well.
Are chocolate chips good in banana bread? Are they necessary?
They are not necessary but they are a delicious addition! If you are not a fan of chocolate (not sure how you couldn’t be) you can skip this step and the bread will still come out just as moist and delicious!
- This recipe makes 1 loaf of bread, about 10 slices (depending on how thick you like your slices, I like mine thick!)
- Make sure your butter is room temperature. If you try to soften the butter in the microwave the batter will turn runny.
- If you only have salted butter on hand skip the step where more salt is added.
- You can use dark chocolate, semi-sweet, or milk chocolate chips for this recipe.
Easy & Moist Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Mixing Bowl
- Stand Mixer
- Whisk Attachment
- ½ Cup Unsalted Butter (Room Temperature)
- 1 Cup Brown Sugar (Packed)
- 3-4 Very Ripe/Over Ripe Bananas (Mashed)
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- ¼ Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips Can substitute dark or milk chocolate chips
- Line a 9×5 Loaf Pan with parchment paper. Spray with non-stick baking spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl cream together butter and brown sugar until smooth (about 2 minutes).
- Whisk in egg until well combined.
- Add mashed bananas and vanilla extract until well combined.
- Add All purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix until just combined being careful not to over mix.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan. Bake for 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean.
- Let cool for 15 minutes in loaf pan, then move to cooling rack.
- Let cool for an additional 20 minutes before serving and enjoy!
- This recipe makes 1 Loaf, about 10 thick slices.
- Use unsalted room temperature butter. If you only have salted butter on hand skip the step with the addition of more salt.